Sunday, January 17, 2010

Secondary Project

I have a secondary project; not really another New Year's resolution but just something I want to try to keep in the back of my mind. To keep myself accountable, I want to blog about it, but see no point in creating aNOTHER blog to do so. So, here it is.

Continuing something I've been working on since around the time A was born, I am trying to be easier on the planet and potentially better for my own health (and, the health of my unborn child). I'm also trying to balance this with making things cost efficient, because we, like so many others, are fairly strapped and have a hard time making ends meet and paying the mortgage on time.

This is hard, since I am married to someone who firmly believes in the benefits of modern chemistry, or whatever that old slogan was. He has no problem leaving a cell phone charger plugged in with nothing attached, has all kinds of electronics plugged in that drain energy even when we're not using them, and totally loves the Bath and Body Works antibacterial hand soaps. He looks at me like I'm crazy when I wash zip bags and recycle aluminum foil.

Recently, I was reading on a message board about something called "No poo." I discovered by reading through the thread that this means not using traditional shampoo, so I googled it, and found this website of the process. I tried today for the first time. I probably didn't do things properly.

I have what you might call baby fine, stick straight, hair. When looking for hair care products, my priorities are: 1. Cost, 2. Will not leave my hair tangled, 3. Will not give me static/flyaways, 4. Body.

I took a tablespoon of baking soda and mixed it with some water. It was more thin than a paste, so I probably added too much to that. Anyway, I mixed it up and rubbed it into my scalp. I left it in while I washed my face and body, then rinsed it out. It was very weird to not use anything on the ends of my hair (esp considering I had just come from the pool too). Then I took about 2T of apple cider vinegar in a cup. Buuuut, that spilled as I got into the shower. Great. So I was probably left with 3/4 of a Tablespoon at most. Then I mixed in a little bit of water and put it on my hair, making sure to put it on the ends. Not sure what to do from here, I rubbed it through my hair like I would with a traditional conditioner. Then, I rinsed that out.

I went forward with my normal routine--dry, towel turban, get dressed, then come back and comb out my hair. I totally and completely expected a tangled mess and even got out the detangler. This, however was not at all the case; my hair was completely untangled. After blowdrying, my hair is still fairly tangle free. As far as volume, it is a little bit flatter than normal, but I don't think anyone but me would even notice.

Another thing people commented on was the smell--since you're using vinegar, does the hair smell? No. It really doesn't smell like much of anything. No vinegar smell, just... clean.

So, I think I'll try this method again!

**Update** After about 12 hours, my hair feels... well, kinda greasy up at the part area. I haven't looked in a mirror in awhile to be able to tell what anyone looking at me would think. The ends of my hair have developed a little bit of static too, but nothing too too major considering the dryness of winter usually makes them wonky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts on my "bad photography!"